Ep 5: Build a Team that's Empowered by Collaboration
Collaboration can make all the difference to your company's success. Trust, balancing power dynamics, and the relationships amongst your team are just a few of the things that create a conducive environment.
Starting off with hearing about Abigail's soccer experiences so far this summer starts the translation between athletics and how a business team performs.
Storytime topics for today:
- Natural Lifemanship and the Fundamentals course.
- Taking a lot of "shots" in your work and how that positive collaboration amongst your team can bring remarkable success and monetary improvements.
- Patrick shares a Jiu Jitsu story of his sensei's experience at the World Championships. The transition of being the competitor to the teacher. (You might think of this as moving from the do-er of your job to a manager.)
- Brenda Ellington Booth from Kellogg at Northwestern University. You can find her article on coaching people as a manager here.
- Jim Moats and the study with the University of Washington can be found in his book.
- Jiu Jitsu teaches you how to be a good partner and learning how to take care of your partner. How does this translate to the teams in your company?
- Teasing, sarcasm, and mocking in teams.
- Casa de Luz, the very "Keep Austin Weird" restaurant.
- Study of the business coexisting with the Study of the Self. Get ready for Abigail's ACL tear analogy.
- Our businesses rest and ultimately come down to the people, especially the leader, because at the end of the day all decisions flow through them.
- The 3 Forces of Resistance Questions.
- An example of how the leaders setting the tone for the company creates an amazing CX.
- The Linkedin post between Patrick and John van der Steur.
- How hormones cortisol, dopamine, oxytocin interact when we're completing tasks.
This Episode's Bookshelf
Living from the Edge of the Inside - Jim Moats
Traction - Gino Wickman
The EOS Life: How to Live Your Ideal Entrepreneurial Life - Gino Wickman
Browse all books we've mentioned on the podcast here.